Working with branches after 4.6

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 22 06:46:27 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:45:31 +0200 Jari Rahkonen wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone kirjoitti:
> >
> > Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> >>
> >> Hm. It should not be too hard, I guess one of us can do that. But
> >> I'm wondering if that's necessary. Basically, we could just allow
> >> one *real* user group to access all the repositories, including a
> >> few translations coordinators. And they could pull from the
> >> repositories of the translators and then push their changes to the
> >> repository. That's the nice thing about distributed version
> >> control.
> >
> > -1
> >
> > That requires that all the translators be very familiar with git,
> > and have their own publicly-accessible repositories.  That's a bit
> > ridiculous.
> >

> My knowledge of git is superficial at best, but I would think your
> first concern would be fully alleviated if you provide step by step
> instructions (and/or wrapper scripts) at i18n.xfce.org, just like you
> do for svn currently. This way the translators wouldn't need to
> actually grok git.

True -- and we already do this via scripts to hide svn stuff from the
translators if they don't want to have to deal with it.

> And I don't think it's ridiculous to assume that many of us actually
> _do_ have access to some public web space to throw our git
> repositories in. For the rest there's always github, right?

True, but this kinda defeats the purpose of why we started giving
translators write access to our svn repos in the first place: so we
(the developers) don't have to keep on top of translation patches.  I
remember how it was before we started doing this; nowadays translation
updates get into svn orders of magnitude faster than they used to, and
I think that's really a great thing.

	-brian