Working with branches after 4.6

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:50:35 CET 2009

2009/2/20 Juha <kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi>:
> Seems like GIT is giving a lot of extra work. Does it give some real
> benefits also?
> Why would we drop a pretty well working svn if it means a lot of work and no
> real goodies? You probably have heard: "do not fix it, if it is not broken."

* Commits offline, so you can finish a (large) change with multiple
commits and push the result or work and commit when you have no
internet connection.
* Branching/Merge works a lot better, that's basically the whole point
of the switch.
* Easier to pick commits from master to a (stable) branch.
* Better logging (not changelogs needed).

Probably some more, but those are the most important for us. Of course
it requires a bit of a personal change to work with git, but a lot of
us think it will improve the workflow.

Nick