4.6.0

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Tue Feb 17 10:29:30 CET 2009

On mar, 2009-02-17 at 09:19 +0000, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> > Beside bitching, is there anything I/we can help with?
>
> I see no blocker in BZ, so let's release. Really, I mean it,

There is the DPI issue (yeah, I know). Stephan discovered that using -1
in xsettings means using the default value *in pango* (or cairo?) which
is 96. And if there's no default in pango, then it's the default value
in cairo, which is 75. And if there's no default in cairo, use the one
from fontconfig, which seems to be 72.

Basically, it seems to me that using -1 is really not a good idea, you
don't really know what will happens. 96 maybe, but you're not really
sure. The way gnome-settings-daemon does it is to use the value stored
in gconf if it exists, or ask the xserver what it thinks (if the value
seems impossible (iirc less than 50 or over 5000), then it uses 96.

But basically, either user forces the DPI himself, or *we* should find
the correct value, not delegating that to anyone else. -1 is not an
option imho.

I still think it should be fixed in 4.6.0 but if nobody writes some code
it won't happen. (I could try to write that but it would take me a lot
of time because I'm not really a gtk coder, and then Xfce team would
have to take time to review it, because I'm not really a gtk coder at
all :) ).

So if it will take too much time, ok, just document that, but then it
should be fixed for 4.6.1, not 4.8.

And yeah, besides that rc1 is in pretty good shape from what I see, so
it'd be really nice to ship it :)

Cheers, and thanks,
--
Yves-Alexis