"Eject" and "Unmount"

Alexander Iliev sasoiliev at mamul.org
Thu Feb 12 08:28:06 CET 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
[...]
> thunar_vfs_volume_is_ejectable() should NOT correspond to
> storage.requires_eject.  Just because a volume doesn't *require* eject,
> it doesn't mean that it's not ejectable.
>
> As previously discussed, we should *not* have "Unmount" in Thunar's (or
> xfdesktop's) UI anywhere.  Any place where we do would be considered a
> usability bug.
>
> Ejecting normal USB media is entirely safe and probably a good idea
> (after unmounting), even if storage.requires_eject is false.

Brian, what about such a use-case:

1. I connect my ipod
2. The ipod is mounted
3. I transfer some files to it, then eject it and leave
   it connected to recharge the battery
4. Later I decide that I want to transfer some more files

Result: I have to unplug and again connect the ipod in order to
do this (when a device is ejected, the icon of the device
disappears, afaik).

I'm not sure this is relevant to the bug you are discussing here,
but this has been annoying for me for some time. In some previous
version of Thunar this was not an issue, since (from my point of
view) the behaviour was correct then - there was an unmount option
for ipod/usb mass storage/etc. devices, and there was an eject
option for CDs/etc.

Best regards,
--
Alexander Iliev