Xfce Documentation viewer, idea...

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Wed Dec 9 13:30:50 CET 2009

Hey All,

I wanna discuss in this mail having a simple viewer for our documentation.

Why using a simple viewer instead of just asking a browser to show the doc:
1) It is much faster.
2) It will automatically load a localized documentations with respect to
the system locale, if not found, C fallback,
2') If there is links inside a document, and it is not found in the
current locale of the document itself,
    then also the link is loaded from the C dir, this is done by
catching "navigation-policy-decision-requested" webkit signal.
3) We can add whatever we like to the viewer.

I wrote a simple viewer just for demonstration, the code can be found
http://foo-projects.org/~nick/packages/xfce4-help-0.0.0.tar.bz2
it depends on libxfce4ui and webkit, and the other standards.

You can try it without installing it, just compile it with the correct
prefix (prefix=/usr if your docs are in /usr/share/xfce4/doc).

Let me guys know your opinions, and if you like the idea.

Best Regards,
Ali.