Launching .desktop files with GIO

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Mon Aug 24 00:29:51 CEST 2009

On 08/23/2009 03:12 PM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:03:29 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <brian at tarricone.org> wrote:

>> Excellent.  The only thing possibly missing is handling of the
>> Terminal= key.  And even if it's not missing, I imagine it doesn't
>> run xfterm4 :-P .
>
> Nope, unfortunately, it only tries the following programs in order:
>
>   gnome-terminal
>   nxterm
>   color-xterm
>   rxvt
>   xterm
>   dtterm
>
> That's pretty bad of course. Once again, I think we should push for a
> standardization of preferred applications of certain types (browser,
> email, terminal would be a good start).

Well, I'm impressed that it actually handles it at all.  This is a
decent start, I guess.  I'm happy with "ignoring" the terminal problem
for now.  Users who actually make use of Terminal=true can either use
one of those apps, or pick one that they don't have installed and
symlink it to xfterm4 or whatever.  Not a great solution, but I think
it'll have to do until there's a more generic solution.

	-brian