Xfce documentation licensing

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Aug 18 12:19:56 CEST 2009

2009/8/18 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
> On 08/17/2009 05:23 PM, Jim Campbell wrote:
>
>> I did want to bring up an issue relating to licensing of
>> documentation, though.  If I understand correctly, up to this point
>> the Xfce system docs have been licensed under the GPLv2 (or later).
>> With the upcoming revamp of the documentation, I wanted to see if the
>> group would consider licensing any newly-written documentation under
>> the CC-By-SA v3.0 unported [0] license.
>
> Personally I'm fine with it for anything I've written, but remember that
> this isn't a "group" decision.  The Right Thing[tm] to do here is to
> look at the authorship information for each module's documentation and
> contact all of those authors individually.  You can't relicense the docs
> for a particular module until all its authors agree, unless you want to
> rewrite substantial portions of it from scratch.

I'm fine with the license change for anything I've written (which once
upon a time used to be a substantial part of the docs, but I'm not
sure of the current status).

I don't remember exactly why we (I?) chose GPLv2, but I think it may
have been to simply have the same license as for the code and there
being no compelling reason to choose anything else.

Cheers,

        Jasper