[Planning-4.8][dependencies] Gtk+ and Glib

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Aug 18 00:19:28 CEST 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:04:38 +0200
Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to start the dependency-discussion for this release by
> summing up what we used with 4.6.
> Now, we have quite a few, so I would like to start with the most
> prominent ones, Gtk+ and glib.
>
> With xfce 4.6, we depended on the following versions:
>  - Gtk+ - 2.10
>  - Glib - 2.12
>
> Many components are already being ported to GIO and GtkBuilder, making
> the minimum dependencies to choose from the following:
>  - Gtk+ - 2.12
>  - Glib - 2.16
>
> As a result from this change, we can drop libglade and thunar-vfs from
> our dependency-stack of 4.8. Which I think, is a good thing. Since the
> first release of GIO, many improvements have been made to it, also on
> the API. Stuff like:
>
> - g_desktop_app_info_new_from_keyfile () [a]
> - g_file_query_file_type () [b]
> - g_file_make_directory_with_parents () [c]
> - g_file_monitor () (vs g_file_monitor_file() and
> g_file_monitor_directory()) [d]
> - g_file_enumerator_get_container () [e]
> - g_emblemed_icon_new () [f]

Just to make it clear: these functions are new in GLib/GIO 2.18. I've
imported them into the Thunar source code yesterday so that Thunar
should build and run fine with GLib/GIO 2.16.

However, GTK+ 2.14 introduces a few APIs GTK+ 2.12 was missing for
better interaction with GIO. Here are two examples:

  - GtkMountOperation (very important for asynchronous and
    interactive mounting)
  - gtk_image_new_from_gicon()

GtkMountOperation is used everywhere inside Thunar so I'd consider it
important. As a consequence, I'd vote for GTK+ 2.14 and GLib 2.16
(which by coincidence also are the version that correspond to each
other, unlike 2.12/2.16 ... I think).

  - Jannis