Mount, unmount and eject removable devices

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Aug 11 15:06:45 CEST 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:55:08 +0200
Jordi Pujol <jordipujolp at gmail.com> wrote:

> A Dimarts, 11 d'agost de 2009 14:35:27, Jannis Pohlmann va escriure:
> > There's no need to confuse users with a state inbetween. We're gonna
> > stick to mount/eject and we're not introducing unmount again.
> >
> > We might consider adding eject when not mounted for drives that can
> > be ejected, like CD drives with media. Because sometimes, you don't
> > want to reach for the physical eject button (although this is a bit
> > stupid because you need to reach for the CD slot anyway to get your
> > CD out of the computer).
> >

> but we are losing functionality,
> it should be a configuration to control what options we want,

We are always losing functionality when we design abstractions. GUIs
are high-level abstractions for machine code. Command line utilities
are on a lower level and thus, expose more of the underlying hardware
functionality. You just have to accept (and embrace) this fact.

You could say that Thunar follows more of a "convention over
configuration" approach than other applications. If you don't like
that, Thunar is not for you. We won't add options for all the little
pet features people have.

  - Jannis