Mount, unmount and eject removable devices

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Tue Aug 11 10:38:38 CEST 2009

Jordi Pujol wrote:
> A Dimarts, 11 d'agost de 2009 09:34:05, Brian J. Tarricone va escriure:
>> Then why would the user unmount it if they want to use it later?
>>

> because the user has a low-level machine and he wants to free up system
> resources while these are not needed

Please provide me with some quantitative information about how much
resources an unused mount occupies, and I will prove to you that this
amount is reasonable and actually good for resource usage and performance.

this discussion is not very fruitful:

- no new arguments have been presented since the last time

- Xfce is not a collection of all existing commandline utilities wrapped
in a GUI, merely providing the most obvious ones that give you all you
should need/want

- Brian's POV is what most of the developers agreed, and still agree
upon - IOW it's not just Brian. I remember the former discussion well,
and I myself and all the developers back then agreed on the current
implementation (and, likely, still completely do)

Unfortunately some of you disagree. That's life. You have options:

- patch thunar etc. and provide this patch to everyone who wants this
- pick a different tool that gives you the functionality you desire
- come up with a new argument after reading and understanding all the
points made in the former discussion thread
- etc.

Cheers,

Auke