Renaming of Xfce components

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Apr 1 21:56:11 CEST 2009

Hey,

we've been struggling to get our libraries and applications used
outside Xfce in the past. The limited user base caused by this makes it
especially difficult for us to attract new contributors.

In an IRC meeting we had yesterday we've decided to strip "xfce"
from the names of some of our components and replace it with something
more generic that doesn't prevent people from using the libraries.

I've made a start last week already by announcing that libxfce4menu
will be renamed to gdesktopmenu:

  http://gezeiten.org/post/2009/03/libxfce4menu-to-be-renamed-to-gdesktopmenu

Other renamings we have planned, all of which follow the "gtk", "glib",
"gio", "gnio" naming style:

  libxfce4util    => gutil
  libxfcegui4     => gui
  xfce4-session   => gsession
  xfconf          => xdgconf (to emphasize that it should become the
                              config system backed up by freedesktop.org
                              in the near future)

I hope you all agree with me that this is once again a big step forward
for Xfce as a whole. It underlines our urge to play a more important
role in the cross desktop sector.

Cheers,
Jannis