Xscreensaver configurator in XFCE settings panel

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Sep 23 20:59:32 CEST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:00:16 +0200 Christian Dywan wrote:
>
>> I would think that this behaviour would be intuitive to the user, ie.
>> showing the same icons in the settings manager as in the menu.
>
> Well, that depends on how you look at it.  It's the *Xfce* settings
> manager, not the general-everything settings manager.  For the
> screensaver case, I'd make an exception because that's something one
> might consider integral to a desktop that Xfce doesn't provide.

wonk. reoccurring problem.

How about we talk to the freedesktop guys and set a standard desktop file
annotation so that we can mark any .desktop file as
'Category=Configuration/system;' ? (or something like that)

Something like that would make the mcs manager menu plugin infrastructure largely
obsolete and fall back on existing infrastructure. plemp a .desktop file in place
for each of the components and.... voila.

Most of all it would be portable and compatible with other configuration tools....

just a throught :)

Auke