Xscreensaver configurator in XFCE settings panel

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Sep 21 13:28:54 CEST 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:00:16 +0200 Christian Dywan wrote:

> I would think that this behaviour would be intuitive to the user, ie.
> showing the same icons in the settings manager as in the menu.

Well, that depends on how you look at it.  It's the *Xfce* settings
manager, not the general-everything settings manager.  For the
screensaver case, I'd make an exception because that's something one
might consider integral to a desktop that Xfce doesn't provide.

> And I
> personally prefer the manager usability wise over the menu, since
> going through menus is always much more inconvenient as soon as you
> need more than one menu, plus the icons in the menu are rather small.

Perhaps, but the menu is certainly more generic than the settings
manager.  Regarding the usability issue, I've been meaning to add
options to change the icon size, but never got around to it.

> It might be that some people dislike combining Xfce specific items
> with independant items, in that case I see two options:
>
> 1. Group items, with a caption, like "Xfce", "Other"
>
> 2. Add a tiny tickbox saying "Show All Items" or something similar

I've actually considered this on a larger level -- grouping the icons
(including Xfce-specific dialogs) based on Categories= in the .desktop
file, though we'd need to come up with some decent categories: I
believe all of them just have DesktopSettings now, which is pretty
generic.  (I'm thinking of the MacOS X System Preferences application
here -- which is what inspired the current look of the settings manager
that Jannis implemented.)

	-brian