SVN version tags and release info in changelogs

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Sep 20 17:18:37 CEST 2008

Hey all,

we still haven't added the 'svn' version tag back to any of the Xfce
components after the alpha and we also haven't added some kind of
release hint like '=== 4.5.90 released ===' to the ChangeLogs. I think
this is bad. The release hints would make it so much easier to locate
when the last release was made and which changes have been made since
then.

We'll have to update the NEWS files a number of times in the near
future, so please let's do this properly: Remove the svn tag
and add a '=== 4.5.x released ===' hint to the ChangeLog before
tagging/releasing and add the svn tag back afterwards. It's stated in
our release HOWTO as well:

  http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/release

I don't know if that's a complete HOWTO. If not, let's improve it and
follow it step by step when doing a release.

  - Jannis

P.S.: I know the last release was chaotic and this is by no means
Stephan's fault. But let's try to do it properly next time. I'll help
where I can.