reopening the session management discussion...

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 23:40:35 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> A while ago, I suggested that perhaps xfwm4, xfdesktop, xfce4-panel,
>> etc. shouldn't use X11 session management to ensure startup, but just
>> use the fd.o autostart mechanism instead.  I believe I was shot down at
>> the time -- I think Olivier was opposed to the idea for some reason
>> that I can't remember.
>>
>> However, I still see this as a good idea:
>>
>> Pros:
>>
>> * App can never "accidentally" fall out of the session due to a crash
>> (I guess I'm the biggest offender here). App will always be started when
>> the DE starts unless the user disables it.
>
> Inmplementing SmRestartImmediately in xfce4-session would solve the
> problem without loosing the flexibility of session management.
>
> In other words, I do not think that using a separate mechanism to
> start some of the components is the good solution, unless we have some
> sort of standard (ie, ppl can replace xfwm4 with compiz, xfdesktop
> with nautilus, etc. in a way that is not xfce specific)

Well, the autostart spec is an fd.o "standard". We could name the
.desktops to generic names, like windowmanager.desktop, panel.desktop,
err, desktop.desktop? Then they could be obviously replaced, or even
symlinked to the global locations or those apps.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Erik
"It's true, Alice Cooper is a hippie, but he's the bad kind of hippie.
He's the kind of hippie that breaks into people's offices, beats them
up, and shoots them in the head. Why? To steal their antique chairs."