reopening the session management discussion...

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 23:11:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> A while ago, I suggested that perhaps xfwm4, xfdesktop, xfce4-panel,
> etc. shouldn't use X11 session management to ensure startup, but just
> use the fd.o autostart mechanism instead.  I believe I was shot down at
> the time -- I think Olivier was opposed to the idea for some reason
> that I can't remember.
>
> However, I still see this as a good idea:
>
> Pros:
>
> * App can never "accidentally" fall out of the session due to a crash
> (I guess I'm the biggest offender here). App will always be started when
> the DE starts unless the user disables it.

Inmplementing SmRestartImmediately in xfce4-session would solve the
problem without loosing the flexibility of session management.

In other words, I do not think that using a separate mechanism to
start some of the components is the good solution, unless we have some
sort of standard (ie, ppl can replace xfwm4 with compiz, xfdesktop
with nautilus, etc. in a way that is not xfce specific)

Cheers,
Olivier.