keybindings

Walter Alejandro Iglesias roquesor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 16:17:44 CEST 2008

> Ehm, yes.
Do you really understood me?  Why do you answer me this:
> It's not just Windows that uses Ctrl+C for copying.

or:
> Of course. Copy-paste, however, means the same thing in Xfce as it does on
> Windows. So why do the shortcut keys differently?

> Ubuntu bootsplash? How is that Windows-like?
Describe me two differences.

> It's only about what the goals of a project are.
Of course.

> If Xfce is only meant to be a nice window around the terminal, then
> fine,
Personally window decoration don't care to me.  If Twm would have smart
positioning it will be enough for me.  The only thing that hurt me in a
graphical interface is a bad font rendering.  Well if you are modern man
and like pluck your eyebrows don't fill discouraged by me.

> but if Xfce aims to be a full-blown desktop environment, then that's
> what it should aim for.
IMHO, it will be the same kde-gnome error.  Besides you will not give an
option to users but just another fashion.

> And if a developer feels like adding compositing support and advanced
> desktop effects, then who are we to discourage them?
Only a worker-bee mind feels discouraged by an opinion.  I am not your
boss or your master.  Besides, if each one focuses in a different
feature without think it the context and discussing the goal, the
project will need a master brain (the word `project' implies common
goals).  If don't, which finger will point to your focused mind "Clean
that spot on the table" or "Correct this bug"?  It is what make the
difference between a monolithic and modular human group tendency.

> Besides, I think compositing in Xfce is very well done, i.e. as an
> option so you don't have to use it.
>
> You might not find flickering windows an annoyance, but others do. "Real"
> features is subjective.
Oh, at least you've released the adjective `real' is subjective!  I see
you are not concerned only in appearances!  Less people than you think
has machines with enough memory and a graphical card driver that
supports composite.  Besides composite is buggy.  So, modularizing this
kind of features (I know it is done, I am giving an opinion, it is
subjective, that's why, like a function, works in different contexts) as
much as possible could be the only way we all will be happy.

The same I answer to Ori:

You have two choices: 1) accept that the whole idea of what I've said is
reasonable and useful (despite machines, for humans all ideas are
useful) or 2) follow in your `tardy' attempt of trying to trip me up
with useless objections.

--
http://www.roquesor.com