Things I'd like to get done for beta2

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 30 21:52:18 CET 2008

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> 2. Use generic names/titles in all settings dialogs and settings menu
>    items. Instead of things like "Xfce Settings Manager" or "Xfce4 Mouse
>    Settings" or "Mouse Settings" use "Preferences" (or "Settings") or
>    "Mouse". Due to the context (all these dialogs are part of the
>    settings menu and show up inside the settings manager), they don't
>    need to have that "Settings" suffix, I think.

I'm fine with this... I'm thinking about removing support for
GenericName/X-XfceSettingsName entirely from the settings manager.

> 3. Rework strings in all core components. Fix typos, improve grammar,
>    remove ambiguous expressions. Simplify strings and improve
>    consistency where it makes sense.

Yeah, this is super necessary.  Most of our strings aren't the best, and
even in cases where they're pretty good, they're usually not very
consistent across modules.

> 4. Add X-XfcePluggable and X-XfceHelpFile support to all settings
>    dialogs.

I was going to work on this a bit last night, but I fell asleep.  Most
of them seem to be in good shape with pluggable support; just a couple
more to go.  Most are missing help files tho.

>    How important are the docs at this point? If I remember
>    correctly, they need to be translated.

Most of our docs were never translated, and those that were usually only
got translated into one or two languages.  Getting all the doc strings
in to .po files would maybe make this easier?  Not sure what the i18n
team would prefer.

>    I guess we'll have to add a
>    string freeze exception for the docs because a lot of the new
>    components (xfce4-settings, xfconf, xfce4-mixer etc.) don't have any
>    end-user documentation at all.

Yes, yet another reason why rewriting things that work well enough as
they are is a bad idea ^_~.  Not that I should talk; I need to write all
new docs for xfdesktop's new settings dialog...

	-brian