Things I'd like to get done for beta2

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Oct 30 20:03:56 CET 2008

Hey guys,

this is a list of things that -- as the subject of this mail already
suggests -- I'd like to see finished before beta 2. I'll start working
on them *now* but I'd be happy to see others join me.

1. Window manager shortcuts. (Olivier and I are already working on
   this. I expect them to be ready in time.)

2. Use generic names/titles in all settings dialogs and settings menu
   items. Instead of things like "Xfce Settings Manager" or "Xfce4 Mouse
   Settings" or "Mouse Settings" use "Preferences" (or "Settings") or
   "Mouse". Due to the context (all these dialogs are part of the
   settings menu and show up inside the settings manager), they don't
   need to have that "Settings" suffix, I think.

3. Rework strings in all core components. Fix typos, improve grammar,
   remove ambiguous expressions. Simplify strings and improve
   consistency where it makes sense.

4. Add X-XfcePluggable and X-XfceHelpFile support to all settings
   dialogs. How important are the docs at this point? If I remember
   correctly, they need to be translated. I guess we'll have to add a
   string freeze exception for the docs because a lot of the new
   components (xfce4-settings, xfconf, xfce4-mixer etc.) don't have any
   end-user documentation at all.

Any objections? Volunteers for any of these tasks?

Cheers,
Jannis