Request for xfce4-settings

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Oct 23 23:45:44 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:42:55 +0200
schrieb Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de>:

> > > as some of you might have noticed, I developed rather strong
> > > interest in a comfortable, convenient and well-working settings
> > > manager  and settings dialogs.
> > >
> > > The current settings-manager window became quite big, as people
> > > refused to introduce these hpane(d?)s. Never mind, now the
> > > settings manager is rather big. How about retrieving and saving
> > > the window geometry when closing the application and restoring it
> > > next time to that size? That would make everyone feel comfortable
> > > with the new settings manager: those people with minimal
> > > displays, maximum font sizes, lots of entries, few entries
> > > inside, ...
> >
> > I am to blame for the huge size of the window. That's one of the few
> > issues I still have on my list for beta2 actually.
>
> Well, the request wasn't actually 'bout blaming anyone, but rather
> about suggesting remembering the window size so that all users be
> happy with Xfce regardless of all their settings and dispaly and font
> sizes.

Hehe, yeah, I know. My reply wasn't meant too seriously either (at
least not the first part of it). First we had a max size for the window
and the window size was set to min(screen_size * 2/3, max size). Now we
have max(screen_size * 2/3, min size) which makes the window quite huge
on big screens. Both ways are far from optimal. Maybe I'll make the
window remember its size while improving the sizing algorithm in
general.

  - Jannis