xfce4-session dbus interface

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Mon Oct 6 00:36:57 CEST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I spent some time fleshing out a dbus interface for xfce4-session.
> Right now my intention is for it to be more of a remote-control spec
> (the first use case being a GUI session editor), but I plan on extending
> it to hopefully become a replacement for XSMP entirely (pending
> freedesktop.org buy-in, anyway).  But the XSMP replacement will be for
> 4.8; the simpler stuff is for 4.6.
>
> See the API here:
> http://mocha.xfce.org/~kelnos/testing/xfce4-session-dbus.xml
>
> Let me know what you think -- esp comments on my TODO items at the top
> would be useful.  Let's not be too ambitious here; I want to be able to
> implement most of this in the next week and a half.

It doesn't make much sense to reimplement XSMP on top of D-BUS rather
than ICE. You'll still suffer from the same problems (ICE has never been
a problem). If you attempt to invent a new protocol, don't start with
XSMP in mind, but use something very simple instead, targeted at regular
applications. Just my 2 cents...

> 	-brian

Benedikt