xfce4-session dbus interface

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 3 05:51:55 CEST 2008

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:35:20 +0530 Biju Chacko wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I spent some time fleshing out a dbus interface for xfce4-session.
> > Right now my intention is for it to be more of a remote-control
> > spec (the first use case being a GUI session editor), but I plan on
> > extending it to hopefully become a replacement for XSMP entirely
> > (pending freedesktop.org buy-in, anyway).  But the XSMP replacement
> > will be for 4.8; the simpler stuff is for 4.6.
> >
> > See the API here:
> > http://mocha.xfce.org/~kelnos/testing/xfce4-session-dbus.xml
> >
> > Let me know what you think -- esp comments on my TODO items at the
> > top would be useful.  Let's not be too ambitious here; I want to be
> > able to implement most of this in the next week and a half.
>
> Better get it to fd.o asap. You'd hate it if you're turned down
> *after* you do a bunch of work.

Well, this is just preliminary and "private" for our own use.  Really,
the work is going to be in GObject-ifying and dbus-ifying
xfce4-session.  Implementing a particular API isn't so hard, and making
changes later would be pretty easy.  I guess the point is -- the bit
I'm doing right now (for 4.6) is the stuff that I want there for Xfce's
use, so if fd.o later doesn't like it, that's fine by me.

But yeah, as soon as I come up with something for a real XSMP
replacement, I'll go to fd.o immediately.

	-b