Showing bundles in Thunar

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Oct 1 23:04:14 CEST 2008

Erik Harrison wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to show bundles/AppDirs* in Thunar ?
>> Like with using a plugin, or where to hack it in...
>>
>> Specifically, I would like it to show the icon and
>> to launch the program when the directory is opened.

>> Using .desktop files and installed icons/programs
>> "works" too, but do require installation first...
>>
>> So does opening the bundle/application directory
>> and navigating to the program, but it is "ugly". :-)
>
> It's still ugly, but one possibility would be to use a custom action.
> Have it show up only when directories are selected and have it run a
> command like %f/AppRun. Unless Thunarx has been extended since I last
> looked at it, this support couldn't be added in a plugin.

That would work in concept, and is how bundles work in Mac OS X -
only the other way around, launch is the default and open a command.

But it seems to be harder to set any custom icons on directories
(except for emblems), as the thumbnailers work mostly with files.
Using thumbnailers should otherwise work for formats that actually
have files, like the http://klik.atekon.de/ CMG images for instance.

It does know to set special icons for home and desktop folders, so
maybe it could be taught about app bundles and custom icons too...

--anders