Projects in xfce repos, ehm...

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Nov 21 01:46:57 CET 2008

Am Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:28:54 -0800
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > Am Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:38:52 -0800
> > schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

>  >>
> >> I can certainly understand the sentiment, but... well, too bad.
> >> The only app that's really potentially in this position is Orage,
> >> and I personally wouldn't consider a calendar/reminder/PIM app a
> >> core desktop app by any stretch of the imagination.
> >
> > What I wrote above is just one of the reasons why the attractivity
> > of goodies is somewhat connected to this discussion. The other
> > reason is that people wrote their apps with the same goals as Xfce
> > in mind and just want them to be recognized as part of Xfce (even
> > if not part of the core). I think that's why it's important to make
> > the goodies appear stronger and more attractive - especially if we
> > are to move such important applications as Terminal, orage etc.
> > over into the goodies. That's all I'm trying to say.
>
> Sure, definitely.  I wouldn't consider any apps we host to be any
> less "Xfce apps" -- just not core desktop apps.

I kind of like the idea that came up with Benny's mail which basically
is to get rid of the "core" idea as a whole. It's worth thinking about
at least. Where do we need to separate "core" from the rest, other than
for the all-in-one tarball and the installer (which both are minor
aspects considering that most distributions use a packaging system).

  - Jannis