Xfce 4.6 Beta 2 on FreeBSD

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 19 19:52:28 CET 2008

Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> - Editor, Command Line and so on in the panels are showing no icon (a
>   null icon)
> - within "Applications" in the context menu which gets openend when right
>   clicking on the desktop, the Subgroups (like Settings, Graphics,
>   Multimedia...) are shown with a read X-Icon instead of a real. Within
>  the Settings-Group, many Setting Applications are shown with no icon (a
>   null icon)

Sounds like you're missing one or more of the following:

* The hicolor-icon-theme needs to be installed.
* The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable needs to include
$xfce_prefix/share (as well as the location of hicolor).

> - on startup, xfce told me that the Xfce Trash service could not be
>   contacted (or something like that) - but I've Thunar installed.

Your dbus setup is broken.  Either you don't have the session bus
running at all (in which case you should just not compile xfdesktop with
dbus support), or you don't have $xfce_prefix/share/dbus-1/services
included in your dbus service search path.  Please see the dbus
configuration docs for how to fix this.

(Or, maybe you didn't compile Thunar with dbus support.)

> - reboot and/or shutdown does not work, instead of the expected result,
>   xfce4 is just closing and prior to finishing the closing, an empty
>   messaging box is shown w/o a windowmanager frame, showing a red
>   stop-sign with no text and just an OK button.

Weird, please file a bug for this against xfce4-session.  I'm mainly
interested in the issue with the useless error message.  I consider the
sudo helper unmaintained and I don't really care to improve it.  (Yes, I
know, not every OS out there has HAL, but I don't have the time or
inclination to maintain the sudo helper.  That doesn't mean I won't
accept patches for it, though.)

> When I run 4.6 with my existing 4.4 configuration:
>
> - I had to lower the fontsize through all applications by 1 to get the
>   old font sizes back.

Yes, there's at least one thread about that on this list, and a bugzilla
bug about DPI issues.  Please do a search.

> I noticed the following output on the console:
>
>   xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 9 overrides entry on line 6
>   xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" on line 11 overrides entry on line 7
>
>   where does this come from? my .config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb is only 4 lines
>   long

No idea.  The xrdb stuff is legacy and most apps probably won't use it
anyway...

> - this message sounds funny?
>
>   (xfce4-panel:35369): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: xfce4-panel is not running

This is probably some left over debug code.  I see it too, but it
doesn't appear to harm anything.

	-brian