Xfce 4.6 Beta 2 on FreeBSD

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Wed Nov 19 17:01:41 CET 2008

Hi,

I want to discuss some things on the list prior opening a bug report -
because it might be not needed.

I've prepared the FreeBSD ports for 4.6 Beta 2 and upgraded my system to
test it. I've created a new user to ensure no 4.4 configuration is harming
the tests as a first step.
I've noticed the following things where I would like to hear your opinion
on:

- Editor, Command Line and so on in the panels are showing no icon (a
  null icon)
- within "Applications" in the context menu which gets openend when right
  clicking on the desktop, the Subgroups (like Settings, Graphics,
  Multimedia...) are shown with a read X-Icon instead of a real. Within
 the Settings-Group, many Setting Applications are shown with no icon (a
  null icon)
- on startup, xfce told me that the Xfce Trash service could not be
  contacted (or something like that) - but I've Thunar installed.
- reboot and/or shutdown does not work, instead of the expected result,
  xfce4 is just closing and prior to finishing the closing, an empty
  messaging box is shown w/o a windowmanager frame, showing a red
  stop-sign with no text and just an OK button.
  I've the following line in my sudoerrs:

  %wheel ALL = NOPASSWD:/usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

  When I try to start it I'm getting:

  olivleh1 at kartoffel olivleh1> sudo /usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper
  XFSM_SUDO_DONE

  When I then press enter, I get a FAILED

When I run 4.6 with my existing 4.4 configuration:

- I had to lower the fontsize through all applications by 1 to get the
  old font sizes back. I noticed the following output on the console:

  xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 9 overrides entry on line 6
  xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" on line 11 overrides entry on line 7

  where does this come from? my .config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb is only 4 lines
  long

- this message sounds funny?

  (xfce4-panel:35369): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: xfce4-panel is not running

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/