xfce4-mixer has no session handler

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 14 06:49:26 CET 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 02:01:09 +0100 jp.guillemin wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > jp.guillemin wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The xfce4-mixer window has no session support. I mean : if you
> >> launch it several times (ie : by double clicking on the mixer
> >> panel applet) you get 2 or more instances of the mixer
> >> simultaneously.
> >>
> >> Obviously an application that has no reason to be loaded more than
> >> once should have session support to detect that an instance is
> >> already running and ignore repetitive launches.
> >>

> > This has nothing to do with session support
>
> You are of course free to call this feature with your own words. I
> call this kind of feature "session support". What's important is that
> you understood what I meant :)

No, "session support" has well-defined meaning in X11... and this is
not it.  Please learn the correct terminology.

(... regardless of the fact that your use of the word "session" doesn't
make any sense in this context.)

> > , and... why does it matter?
> >
> It's not a "must have", but it would be cleaner.

Then file a feature request bugs.xfce.org.

> >   Maybe sometimes you do want another instance of it, or maybe you
> > just don't care either way.
> >
> Some people care, some other don't ... most GUI features can be
> dropped if you only keep important ones...

Well, Jannis gave a perfect use case (if probably a minority one) where
you'd actively want to have two of them open.  So forcing only one
unique instance of the app would make that impossible... unless you add
a retarded preference to disable that behavior (I mean, really, what
sane preferences dialog has an "Allow only one instance of this
application" option).  Of course, you could also add a command-line
switch, but that's not particularly discoverable...

	-brian