GTK theme not set at startup

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 8 22:54:10 CET 2008

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:25:25 +0100 Enrico Tröger wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:04:25 +0100, Mike Massonnet
> <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I got it.
> >
> >xfconf_backend_perchannel_xml_load_channel() is playing fool with
> >what are system dirs and user dirs.
> >
> >User dirs contain writable files by the user, and system dirs contain
> >only readable files.  Of course that won't work here since I can
> >write inside /usr/local.
>
> And I can write in /home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/...
> (which is the prefix where I installed Xfce)
>
> Good catch, Mike.
> It's indeed a little ugly how xfconf tries to determine what are
> system and user dirs.
>
> @Brian: a little suggestion: instead of checking write permissions of
> those dirs, compare the potential system dir with the compile time
> PREFIX from autotools.

Thanks you two for tracking this down.  Checking PREFIX is a bit of a
hack; I implemented a better general solution...  The file under
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME is the only one considered a "user file" now; all other
files found via $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS are considered "system files".  The
downside of this approach is that you can only have one user file, but
I don't think that's a problem in practice.

	-brian