Xfce4 power manager 0.6.0 RC1 released

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Fri Nov 7 15:17:09 CET 2008

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 03:39:06 -0800, "Brian J. Tarricone"
<bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:23:02 +0100 Ali Abdallah wrote:
>
>> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>> > Hey,

>> > You can't expect the user to know anything about how CPU governours
>> > work, neither what the terms powersafe, performance and ondemand
>> > mean. So if you want the UI to be useful for everyone you'll have
>> > to describe these terms in some way.
>> >
>> >   - Jannis
>> >

>> Can be as a tooltip on each radio button, what do you think, if not
>> i have to find a clear way to show these governors.
>
>I'd suggest doing away with the governors concept in the UI entirely.
>You can have a few different options:
>
>Best performance
>Good performance
>Good battery savings
>Best power savings
>
>(The middle two aren't very good; this is just an idea.)  ... and map
>them to (respectively):

If you do so, please provide the mapping information also in some way.
Brian is right that it might confuse not so experienced users
confronting with CPU governors but at the same time the above 'meta'
descriptions confuse more experienced users who expect the governor
names. Some of us are not only noobs :).
IMO sometimes people want to hide too much from a UI and make it _too_
easy (hello Gnome...)

After all, yes, it'd be best if there wouldn't be a need for such an
option at all but well, AFAIK this is not yet the case.

Regards,
Enrico