Xfce4 power manager 0.6.0 RC1 released

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Fri Nov 7 14:31:12 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 03:39:06AM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> I'd suggest doing away with the governors concept in the UI entirely.
> You can have a few different options:
>
> Best performance
> Good performance
> Good battery savings
> Best power savings
>
> (The middle two aren't very good; this is just an idea.)  ... and map
> them to (respectively):
>
> performance
> ondemand
I think this one needs to say that the kernel will manage itself
everything.
> conservative
I don't really know this one so I can't say.
> powersave
>
> The 'userspace' governor is pretty much useless from the concept of a
> power manager that the user can edit, unless you're going to provide
> extra UI for the user to set the frequency manually, which personally I
> think is a bad idea.

Agreed. Better to leave it out.

> The more radical option (which in a way I'd prefer) would be to do away
> with the ability to set the CPU governor entirely, and just set it to
> 'ondemand' all the time, or maybe to 'ondemand' when on battery, and
> 'performance' when on AC (or maybe use 'conservative' instead of
> 'ondemand' when on battery).  Because, really, why does the user care
> about this crap?  (Of course there's the problem I've mentioned for CPUs
> like mine that can't use 'ondemand' or 'conservative', but maybe there's
> a way to handle that case properly too.)

I guess hal should provide this information. Not sure if it's a case,
but this way it could be disabled directly and thus not accessible by
the user.

--
Yves-Alexis