suspend/hibernate support in xfce4-session

jp.guillemin jp.guillemin at free.fr
Sun Nov 2 00:41:11 CET 2008

Ali Abdallah wrote:
> jp.guillemin wrote:
>
>> looking into the code, I found that the mod uses HAL to suspend (this
>> idea seams strange, it would be simpler to provide a configuration
>> file to specify the scripts location) .
>>
>> So the question is : how do I tell to HAL to use a suspend script ?
>> (using default scripts provided by hal, or whatever, will usually
>> fail, and I have written suspend scripts that work in 98% of the cases
>> including laptops, so I must use them).
>>
>> I want to test, but without any information about this feature, it's
>> not easy.
>>
>> Thanks
>> JP
>>

> You can always add the call to your script, usually in
> /usr/lib/hal/scripts/YourOS/hal-system-..., i use uswsusp to do
> suspend/hibernate and i had to edit the too HAL scripts, be careful
> about the exit code, HAL uses this to identify errors.
>
> Regards,
> Ali.

OK, it works, but there's a problem : the xfce-mixer.

With many sound cards all applications using the sound device must be
closed before suspending, else the driver is broken on resume.

My xfce hibernate script does something like  :

/usr/bin/xfce4-panel --exit
 ** call suspend script **
/usr/bin/xfce4-panel &

It usually work very well out of the session logout dialog, but not in
the current case.

JP