Zombie processes left by Xfce4 programs (Thunar, xfdesktop, ...)

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 13:04:34 CET 2008

Stephan Arts wrote:

> Well, it sounds like a new problem, do you have an idea which
> application actually crashed?

I got it again with xfdesktop. The program "file-roller" has become
zombie, because it is dangling from xfdesktop. Only when I kill
xfdesktop I can get rid of the zombie. Here are the details from the
terminal:

$ ps -Al | grep Z
F S UID   PID   PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN TTY TIME CMD
0 Z 500 30473  9403 0 80 0 - 0 exit ? 00:00:04 file-roller <defunct>

$ ps --ppid 9403
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
30473 ?        00:00:04 file-roller <defunct>

$ ps --pid 9403
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 9403 ?        00:31:25 xfdesktop

Hence, there's also something wrong with the xfdesktop executable.
(See my first email of this thread for details on my system and xfce
version).

Regards,
Rob.