How can a new guy get into dev?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 6 20:58:06 CEST 2008

Logan wrote:
> Hello all
> I am a 2nd year cs major, I am interested in linux development and i am
> wondering what the best way to get my foot in the door so to speak. I
> have knowledge of java, a little C and C# and good knowledge of python.
> but my experience seems to be in the educational side of the language,
> like how to make arrays and exercises like data structures. I would like
> to develop for xfce. can anyone offer tips, development environments,
> languages to learn, even  how to get started. i get the dev mailing list
> in digest mode.

Xfce is written in C.  We use the GTK UI toolkit, which is based on
GObject, which is an object-oriented system for C.  You'll want to read
up on both of these (check out library.gnome.org for docs).

As for getting started, you really have 2 main options:

1.  Figure out what you think is missing or what Xfce could use, and
implement it.  If you have a concrete idea in mind that touches existing
code, this is the place to ask about how things work.

2.  Look through our bug tracker and try to find something interesting
(whether it's a bug or feature request) and work on it.

	-b