setttings in xfce 4.6

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 9 20:17:28 CET 2008

Nick Schermer wrote:
> I was working a bit on an improved display settings dialog, but while
> i was working on the code and played with randr, i wondered what the
> 4.6 plans are for xfce-mcs-manager + plugins...

xfconf is mostly working (there're two function in libxfconf
get/set_string_list() that don't work, and I haven't decided how I want
to fix them yet).  Otherwise it just needs lots of testing.  I haven't
really had much time lately; perhaps I'll import it into the main xfce
svn repo soon so others can play around with it more easily.

> - Do we want the various settings to be standalone applications?

Up to the module maintainer.  It can either be a standalone app, or a
part of the app itself (invoked via some commandline option that tells
the app to pop up the settings app or whatever).  I'm not planning on
writing a monolithic settings app aside from a 'settings browser' that
can launch the other settings panels.

> - Xsettings? IIRC Brian was no sure if it belongs in xfconf.

The XSETTINGS daemon should be separate; there's no reason for our
config system to be tied to it.  It should have a mapping between
XSETTING names and xfconf keys and should just proxy what's in the
xfconf store.

	-brian