xfce svn repo cleanup

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 27 21:09:05 CET 2008

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Hey Brian,
>
> A clean up, definitely makes sense, I say.

Yeah, I dunno... I feel like I just create work for myself to
procrastinate actually writing code...

> 2008/2/27, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I'd like to clean up the main Xfce SVN repository so it only contains
>>  current modules that we consider in the core distribution.  To that end,
>>  I also want to create another repository, 'xfce-archive', or possibly
>>  'xfce-obsolete'.  So, something like this would happen:
>>

> I´d prefer to call it archive rather than obsolete.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too.  "Obsolete" sounds kinda... mean?

>>  pyxfce -> goodies
>
> would a bindings repo/subdir, make sense?

Hmm, maybe.  We currently have 3 bindings, which isn't a whole lot for a
repo, but...

>>  squeeze -> goodies
>>  xarchiver -> goodies
>>  xfburn -> goodies
>>  xfc -> ?? (leave it?)
>
> This would be bindings too, if we decide to use that.  I suddenly
> realize that it might have been better to call this xfc++ or
> something, for clarity.  Ah, well, only a couple of years too late
> with that suggestion...
>
>>  xfce3 -> ?? (maybe leave it, maybe create a new 'xfce3' repo)
>
> Yeah, that might be nice, give xfce 3 its own repo in recognition of
> its great value in the evolution of Xfce ;-)  I guess archive
> otherwise.

(Heh, whoops, correct my quote... xfce3, not xfce4, of course.)  I think
a special repo just for xfce3 is fine, esp since it's read-only at this
point and wouldn't require any admin overhead.  If someone ever did want
to start maintaining it again, having its own repository makes sense.

>>  xfce4-iconbox -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xfce4-perl -> goodies or kelnos
>>  xfce4-systray -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xfce4-terminal -> goodies?  Will Eduard still work on this?
>>  xfce4-themes -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xfce4-toys -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xfce4-trigger-launcher -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xffm -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xffm-icons -> xfce-obsolete
>>  xfmedia -> goodies or kelnos
>>
>>  I can also create per-user repositories (like my 'kelnos' repository) if
>>   Danny/JF/Giuseppe/Stephan want to put their projects in there instead
>>  of goodies.
>>
>>  Thoughts?  Objections?  If no one has issues with this, I'll probably
>>  start the move this coming weekend.
>>

> A goodies/archive repo or subdir might be useful as well. Things like
> xfce4-terminal could go there.

Personally I prefer repos to be relatively 'flat', so I'd sooner create
a new repo than a subdir, but I'm not sure about that.

	-brian