xfce svn repo cleanup

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 27 18:34:26 CET 2008

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> If we cleanup the SVN repositories, how about switching to Git (you
> knew this would come up, didn't you)? I'd offer my help on everything
> (support for other devs, admin work, set up commit mail script which
> we could copy from Lunar Linux). Semester holidays have started
> today, so I have nothing better to do anyway.

No, I think it's a bit premature to be talking about that, and switching
to git is a much larger undertaking than just shuffling modules around.
  Even if the git-svn repos seem to work pretty well, I wouldn't feel
comfortable without more testing.  Not to mention we'd need an entirely
new infrastructure on the server (which I'm working on) for auth, setup,
and fine-grained permissions.  Also think of the impact on the i18n team...

There's also the question as to whether the rest of the devs even *want*
to switch.  I'd be happy with it, but I won't try to speak for Olivier,
Jasper, Benny, Nick, etc...

We can certainly revisit this in a few months, though, after we have a
working git infrastructure on mocha and all the bugs have been ironed out.

	-brian