google summer of code

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Feb 27 13:01:37 CET 2008

------ Original Message -----
From: "Benedikt Meurer" <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
To: "XFCE4 development list" <xfce4-dev at xfce.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: google summer of code

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Alexandre Moreira wrote:
>>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Brian, about the libfusi thing: Is there any reason why it is better
>>> than the work being done on Gio and Gvfs ? I'm only asking it because
>>> GIO will be default with Glib 2.16, which should be ready soon. The
>>> Gtk+ File dialogs are going to use GIO, too. so it would be good for
>>> consistency.
>>>
>>> But perhaps libfusi does something more than Gio that I'm not aware of.
>>
>> As Yves-Alexis points out, Xfce 4.6 will only depend on gtk 2.10, not
>> 2.16.
>>
>> Also, Thunar already has its own VFS backend (thunar-vfs).  Now,
>> clearly, gio/gvfs will be better maintained than thunar-vfs, and I
>> believe it may already have more features (in support for different
>> backends), but porting Thunar to gfvs would be a major undertaking.
>> Personally I'd say that libfusi might be a reasonable baby step in the
>> middle to get some of the network functionality that gvfs can support.
>> All of this is up to Benny, of course.
>
> Thunar will use GIO/GVfs, as everything else simply doesn't make sense,
> and would be useless duplication of efforts.
>
>> -brian
>
> Benedikt

I wonder, maybe instead of a dublicate, a project can work on modifying gvfs
so that it can be used with older glib versions. This would ideally benfit
any gvfs client, if the api is kept so that only the #include line differs
slightly. Possibly this can be a lot of work, if not similar to a whole gvfs
competitor, but the end result is much more reasonable in my point of view.

Cheers,
    Christian