openGL in xfwm4

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Feb 27 13:17:19 CET 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Aling" <h.aling at home.nl>
To: "XFCE4 development list" <xfce4-dev at xfce.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: openGL in xfwm4

> <20080226112832.GA25298 at molly.corsac.net>
> <E1JTysX-00068Q-Sg at zonbu.sait.intra>
> <aa1adf3b0802260624x4de403ffta2ac56a9461c5c6d at mail.gmail.com>
> <20080226161943.9d278b2e.enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
> <20080226165744.GI4530 at molly.corsac.net>
> <47C45B55.6060608 at foo-projects.org>
> <60f2b0dc0802261057w342d33c7of76550cfdfe89102 at mail.gmail.com>
> <1204098766.8649.4.camel at hidalgo>
>
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:52:46 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org>
> wrote:
>> On mar, 2008-02-26 at 18:57 +0000, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>>> BTW, I do not think adding OpenGL support in xfwm4 is a good idea...
>>>
>>> Compiz kicks ass and it makes no sense to duplicate/reinvent the
>>> wheel. If you want OpenGL compositing, use Compiz (please let 's not
>>> do like KDE4... There are already way too many duplication of efforts
>>> between projects).
>>>
>>> *If* you want a cool idea, it would be great to have a "compiz
>>> decorator mode" in xfwm instead, this way xfwm4 could behave either
>>> like a full window manager or just a decorator for compiz.
>>
>> I *really* like xfwm4 look and feel. Compositor is nice, but could
>> behave faster (I guess) using openGL stuff in my intel card. And some
>> fancy stuff like bluring the titlebar text is nice. Cube effect, wobbly
>> windows etc. dont really attract me. I really prefer xfwm4 for all
>> window management stuff.
>>
>> Something I like too is their alt-tab effect (but I guess this isn't
>> really tied to openGL stuff, except maybe the real-time update of
>> windows).
>>
>> I really see openGL in xfwm as a â?obonusâ?, not a complete rewrite :)
>>

> That's exectly how I would see it: using the power of OpenGL to draw
> exactly the same as the non-rocket-fueled Xfwm4.
>
> I don't want any other effects than Xfwm4 offers at the moment
> (transparency and shadows) but then drawn by OpenGL for a performance
> boost
> and less CPU usage. If I really want all kinds of fancy stuff I'll use
> Compiz.
>
> -H-

I do support the idea of OpenGL support in Xfwm4. I experimented with Beryl,
Compiz and their common successor but I don't remotely see how these efforts
could replace Xfwm4 in any way. Compiz is behaving completely differently
and has a completely different interface that is also far from the general
idea present Xfce interfaces have.

Runtime support for OpenGL would be nice, with a selection of features that
focuses on actual usability, as opposed to pure bloat. Incidentally
buildtime OpenGl is not feasible, because many people out there still use
binary distributions. ;)

Cheers,
    Christian