openGL in xfwm4

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Wed Feb 27 10:32:52 CET 2008

<20080226112832.GA25298 at molly.corsac.net>
<E1JTysX-00068Q-Sg at zonbu.sait.intra>
<aa1adf3b0802260624x4de403ffta2ac56a9461c5c6d at mail.gmail.com>
<20080226161943.9d278b2e.enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
<20080226165744.GI4530 at molly.corsac.net>
<47C45B55.6060608 at foo-projects.org>
<60f2b0dc0802261057w342d33c7of76550cfdfe89102 at mail.gmail.com> <1204098766.8649.4.camel at hidalgo>

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:52:46 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org>
wrote:
> On mar, 2008-02-26 at 18:57 +0000, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> BTW, I do not think adding OpenGL support in xfwm4 is a good idea...
>>
>> Compiz kicks ass and it makes no sense to duplicate/reinvent the
>> wheel. If you want OpenGL compositing, use Compiz (please let 's not
>> do like KDE4... There are already way too many duplication of efforts
>> between projects).
>>
>> *If* you want a cool idea, it would be great to have a "compiz
>> decorator mode" in xfwm instead, this way xfwm4 could behave either
>> like a full window manager or just a decorator for compiz.
>
> I *really* like xfwm4 look and feel. Compositor is nice, but could
> behave faster (I guess) using openGL stuff in my intel card. And some
> fancy stuff like bluring the titlebar text is nice. Cube effect, wobbly
> windows etc. dont really attract me. I really prefer xfwm4 for all
> window management stuff.
>
> Something I like too is their alt-tab effect (but I guess this isn't
> really tied to openGL stuff, except maybe the real-time update of
> windows).
>
> I really see openGL in xfwm as a “bonus”, not a complete rewrite :)

That's exectly how I would see it: using the power of OpenGL to draw
exactly the same as the non-rocket-fueled Xfwm4.

I don't want any other effects than Xfwm4 offers at the moment
(transparency and shadows) but then drawn by OpenGL for a performance boost
and less CPU usage. If I really want all kinds of fancy stuff I'll use
Compiz.

-H-