google summer of code

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Tue Feb 26 10:31:52 CET 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:04:46 -0800, "Brian J. Tarricone"
<bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hey all,

> I've created a page on the wiki (http://wiki.xfce.org/gsoc-2008-ideas)
> with some project ideas that I spent a whole 15 minutes thinking about;
> everyone feel free to add to/edit that.  Don't be shy -- anything from
> module improvements to medium-sized new features to new panel plugins to
> new goodies.  Note of course that these are just preliminary ideas, and
> we don't yet know if we can come up with enough mentors or will even be
> accepted into the program.
>
> 	-brian

IMHO: SoC should not be about 'background' tasks like a configuration
daemon or fixing bugs. It should be like: "Hey, look what SoC did for us!"
(fancy stuff!)

At a first glimpse, I really like these 2 projects:
* Orage Opensync support -> makes the Xfce desktop one big step closer to a
full-featured, yet light, business desktop.
* OpenGL support in Xfwm4 -> rendering the desktop + windows on a OpenGL
canvas will really boost desktop performance on all machines with OpenGL
support (nearly all?). I'm quite impressed with the visual performance
boost I get from Compiz, but it's not even close to the quality and
consistency Xfwm4 has to offer!

Just my Eur 0,02.

-H-