Mousepad

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:17:11 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:39:05PM +0200, Jari Rahkonen wrote:
> Nick Schermer kirjoitti:
> > 2008/2/22, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> >> Hear, hear.  If I want syntax highlighting, I'll open it up in anjuta.
> >>  If I'm on console I'll use nano with color support, or, hell, if I don't
> >>  need to edit, 'less' with $LESSOPEN set to something useful that does
> >>  syntax highlighting.  Please don't break mousepad.
> >
> > But what if mousepad would be way better then anjuta? Then what ^_^.
> > Anyway, it's still far away and like i said, i'll keep mousepad as
> > fast as possible, so no worries.
> >
> > Nick
>
> You're free to do as you will of course, but it seems a simple and light
> gtk-based text editor is much harder to find nowadays than a good code
> editor with syntax highlighting. Speed is not a good argument here, as
> scite already starts as fast as mousepad for me, and geany isn't much
> slower either. Don't know about the rest.

Then you must have a really good machine...  If you take an old
hard-disk, you will see the difference even with a 1GHz CPU.  But of
course once the app is started it lives in cached memory, so it will be
faster the second time you start it.

> Is there something you find so wrong in the existing code editors that
> you feel the need to virtually start from scratch on a new one, or is
> this simply something you're interested in hacking on? If it's the
> latter, I wish you good luck and hope you have fun with it, but please
> make it a new project instead. Adding all those features might not make
> the editor much slower, but it would definitely make it less simple.

Please, insert here ^^^ the missing bits about the features you find
bloated in Nick's branch.  I personnaly like it like it is right now,
and won't mind starting the app with one feature more if it makes
another user happy or if it makes sense for Nick to add it.

If you look closer, you will see that it is what it is: a pad.

It remembers me the hard time I had to replace notepad.exe with
notepad2.exe[0].  notepad.exe really just sucks, and notepad2.exe
provided the missing features I wanted in a simple text editor, while
still poping up in no time.  And notepad2.exe is wai! more bloated than
Nick's mousepad.

> - Jari

mike
PS: Something shocking probably, back to 2005, in one of Xfce's blog
entry[1], _you_ were asking for GtkSourceView.  Lol :-)

[0] http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
[1] http://blog.xfce.org/?p=129#comment-2554