xfdesktop inside a window

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 16 20:24:16 CET 2008

Pablo Angulo wrote:
>   Hello all,
>   I wonder whether it would be possible (easy) to build a component that
> essentially contains xfdesktop. I mean: so that you can build an
> application with gtk windows, gtk menus, gtk toolbars, etc, and a fully
> functional xfdesktop contained inside a gtk container.
>   What for? Think of the gimp. It has several windows that are directly
> managed by the window manager, and that's the way I like it, and that's
> probably the way you like it, but many people prefer a single window
> that contains all the application. When I used windows I preferred this
> way, because there aren't virtual desktops, and it's a mess to have a
> bunch of windows in your only desktop.
>   To be even more explicit, ultimately I'd like some pygtk code like
> this to work:
>
> import gtk, pygtk...
> wini=gtk.Window()
> toolbi=gtk.ToolBar()
> boxi=gtk.VBox()
> xfdeski=xfce.xfDesktop(folder,options...) #where folder is the
> equivalent of ~/Desktop (icons in the xfdesktop corresponding to files
> in the folder (although choosing icons to represent minimised
> applications seems more interesting...))
> boxi.pack_start(xfdeski)
> wini.add(boxi)
[...]

This really has nothing to do with xfdesktop.  Xfdesktop *is* a window
that sits on top of the X root window.  It has nothing to do with
keeping windows in a certain place.  The window manager, xfwm4, does
that.  (Well, it could, presumably, if suitably modified.)  In this case
you'd likely want a WM that groups windows by application and raises all
windows in a particular app (sorta like MacOS does).

I don't really understand why you'd want to use the desktop component
for this, anyway...

	-brian