XFCE screen reader

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Mon Feb 11 23:32:08 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 10:55 PM, josh <jkenn337 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So does that mean that a whole new accessibility framework would have to be
> written and another screen reader written to work with XFCE?
>
> Josh
>
> email: jkenn337 at gmail.com
> skype: jkenn337
> msn: kenn6498ku at hotmail.com

That would seem to be correct, if you want to remove the gnome-deps
(though they are few).

However, taking a quick look at ORCA does not make it look like a
trivial task. ORCA is written in python. This makes a direct
'remove-the-gnome-deps' port not possible. It would be preferable to
rewrite the entire thing from scratch.

The screen-reader seems to be the easy part, a speech-synthesizer is
going to be harder. ORCA uses existing speech-synthesizers, and as far
as my limited experience goes, it has a hard time doing so. If we want
a reliable screen-reader, it might be an idea to develop one
ourselves.

NOTE: this is me leaving the questions if we *can* do it, have time to
do it and if there is anyone volunteering for it out of the equation.

I wonder if there is a university who is willing to co-operate on such
a project.

Regards,
Stephan