scale/expose for xfwm4?

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 20 20:29:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Erlend Davidson <
E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2008, at 16:57, Christian Dywan wrote:
>
> > Am Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:37:58 +0200
> > schrieb Miek Gieben <miek at miek.nl>:
> >
> >> [ Quoting samuel in "Re: scale/expose for xfwm4?"... ]

> >> Thanks, but I know of that project, but isn't integration with
> >> xfwm4 a more interesting approach? My question is: is such
> >> integration difficult to do? (If not, I might give it a go
> >> myself)
> >
> > The question is: what advantage do you see in integrating that
> > functionality with xfwm4? I'm using skippy now and then, it could be
> > improved, but it works good enough. Yet I don't see what would make it
> > better if it were part of xfwm4.
>
> The skippy effect is quite useful, and currently the best available
> implementation requires users to install Compiz (which is fine for
> many - but not lightweight).
>
> Perhaps Xfce could adopt (or resume) the skippy project, if enough
> people want it?

I don't think it works like that. I can assure you more people want "xfce4"
then they want "xfce4 with skippy" and we're having a hard enough time
seeing just "xfce4" getting out the door - what makes you think there is the
man power available to do the latter "xfce4 with skippy"?

I certainly don't dispute the effect is neat and also very useful... but
lets not duplicate efforts. As long as you have a decent video card, compiz
isn't too bad on modern, lower end computers.

> --

Cody A.W. Somerville
Release Engineer
Canonical OEM Solutions Group