New system tray in xfce4-panel

mmassonnet at gmail.com mmassonnet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 22:39:39 CEST 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 02:20:29PM +0200, Nick Schermer wrote:
Hi Nick,

> I've rewritten most of the tray code, including the manager (which can
> be removed from libxfcegui4). Hopefully this will fix most of the
> problems related to the icon size. New features include multiple
> lines, hidden applications and sorted by application name.
>
> Tray icon messages are not fully integrated yet (but it never was).
> I'll commit this soon. Also transparent icons are not working yet, but
> I first need a good way to fix this.
>
> In the mean time the code can be tested so I can polish it a bit here and there.

The arrow looks like a copy of what we already know from other
environments.  Once the icons are unhidden, the arrow seems useless; let
me explain: or you will leave all icons shown and then the arrow takes
useless space, or you will click on it again (sigh) to hide the icons.
I hope you get to my thought.

How about something new, an arrow button with a menu, like the launcher?
I see that you have the names of the application, that could make a neat
menu ^_^  It would just look awkward when you right click a menu item,
and the menu disappears.

> Have fun,
> Nick

0.02