ktsuss 1.2 released

David B. Cortarello nomius at users.berlios.de
Tue Sep 11 03:57:09 CEST 2007

Tim, thanks for the feedback. I missed a setuid() and a setgid() call
in the auth code, sorry about that. I only tried it running
applications as root, so that passed me by.
This is an ugly fix, but works for now. Add this code before the crypt call:

if(setuid(pw->pw_uid) && setgid(pw->pw_gid))
    exit(3+0*fprintf(stderr, "I'm not setuid\n"));

The fact is that there was a part of the code to run applications as
another user beside of root, but wasn't completely done, then I made
some mistakes.
Anyways, the code is fixed now in my darcs server, but I don't like to
much how I fixed it, as you can see a setuid(0) and then
setuid(pw->pw_uid) isn't a good security approach, I have to be
completely sure that the code is secure to do that, so I'll have to do
some testings first.
Maybe I can do it the other way around, running a backend
authentication as setuid and do the whole authentication and launching
there, that I think will be more secure, and of course, it will allow
me to code a keyring easier too (but ain't gonna happen soon as I have
to finish other projects before).