config daemon/library for 4.6

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sun Sep 9 00:24:54 CEST 2007

Am Sat, 8 Sep 2007 23:29:34 +0200
schrieb mmassonnet at gmail.com:

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:45:09PM +0200, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> > Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > > Hello children,
> > >
> > > Yes, that's right, it's time for your daily Xfconf update.
> > :-)
> >
> > > * There's some new API in XfconfChannel to handle the new D-Bus
> > > methods. Docs are updated; see:
> > > http://foo-projects.org/~kelnos/xfconf/current/
> > This looks so nice, but I miss one thing in the backend part, and
> > that is a possibility to get a list of channels too. That way we
> > can build up a total list of channels and there properties.
> >
> > It could be nice to make a simple Xfconf editor for all settings
> > (regedit like thing).
>
> I like the way to open the configuration dialogs in the current
> version of Xfce.  So maybe we should keep that way, with something
> that invokes the dialogs through desktop entry files.

Imho an editor which edits the naked values *sounds* useful
in case something goes wrong. The problem is that this might result in
the gconf phenomenon where half of the settings end up in "go edit it
in xfconf". And if only to prevent that I would rather not want to have
it. If every plugin and every app behaves properly there must be a
"reset to defaults" anyway, so we don't have that problem in the first
place.

> Something like that old thing posted on thunar-dev: oh gosh, on some
> xfce or thunar mailing-list.  There is somewhere code for a thunar
> like window with only configuration launchers.  Those dialogs would
> use the Xfconf client lib, and that's it.  I don't feel the need for a
> gconf-editor application.  Let that up to GNOME, and who knows, Xfconf
> and dconf may end up together and it would be useless to have two
> regedit-likes.

I remember that settings tool, which should basically be an icon view
which displayed all plugins. I don't think it actually worked.

I would prefer a settings dialog like we have now, just it would
display all the things you can see in the applications menu already
now.

Yours,
    Christian