config daemon/library for 4.6

mmassonnet at gmail.com mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 23:29:34 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:45:09PM +0200, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Hello children,
> >
> > Yes, that's right, it's time for your daily Xfconf update.
> :-)
>
> > * There's some new API in XfconfChannel to handle the new D-Bus methods.
> > Docs are updated; see:
> > http://foo-projects.org/~kelnos/xfconf/current/
> This looks so nice, but I miss one thing in the backend part, and that
> is a possibility to get a list of channels too. That way we can build up
> a total list of channels and there properties.
>
> It could be nice to make a simple Xfconf editor for all settings
> (regedit like thing).

I like the way to open the configuration dialogs in the current version
of Xfce.  So maybe we should keep that way, with something that invokes
the dialogs through desktop entry files.

Something like that old thing posted on thunar-dev: oh gosh, on some
xfce or thunar mailing-list.  There is somewhere code for a thunar like
window with only configuration launchers.  Those dialogs would use the
Xfconf client lib, and that's it.  I don't feel the need for a
gconf-editor application.  Let that up to GNOME, and who knows, Xfconf
and dconf may end up together and it would be useless to have two
regedit-likes.

Mike