config daemon/library for 4.6

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 5 20:35:22 CEST 2007

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> I've recently converted to preferring dconf instead of writing our own
> solution. I didn't make this opinion public at the end of the last MCS
> thread however.

Really, I'd love to just use dconf.  But it's not ready, it seems pretty
complicated, there's no code that's been made public, documentation is
almost nonexistent, and it's not clear at all when it might be usable.

> I really like your code Brian. It comes very close to what I
> had in mind (actually, it's almost identically except a few API
> differences) and I'm glad someone finally came up with code, since I
> hardly have the time for it.

Great, thanks!

> So ... let's use it! It's not much code, it's almost ready for being
> used and it's also somewhat similar to dconf (although it varies in
> details). If there really is a need to switch to dconf later then
> switching shouldn't be too much work. And who knows when dconf will
> finally be released (as alpha, beta etc. version).

Yes - our client library should be flexible enough that, if dconf comes
out and we want to use it, we can just make the client lib into a dconf
client lib with the same API it has now, and we can deal with migrating
settings transparently inside the library.

> I'd also offer myself to co-maintain xfconf if that becomes or is
> necessary.

Cool, that would probably be helpful given how I tend to jump in and out
of things when RL gets busy.

	-brian