config daemon/library for 4.6

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Sep 5 14:07:47 CEST 2007

Hey,

Am Wed, 5 Sep 2007 01:30:48 -0700
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> Hey again,
>
> I've made some changes to both the D-Bus API and client library API.
> Please take a look and let me know if you have any comments.
>
> http://svn.xfce.org/svn/kelnos/xfconf/trunk/common/xfconf-dbus.xml
> http://svn.xfce.org/svn/kelnos/xfconf/trunk/xfconf/xfconf-channel.h
>
> I also generated gtk-doc docs for the library API, which are probably
> a bit nicer than looking at the above header file:
> http://foo-projects.org/~kelnos/xfconf/docs-20070905/

I've recently converted to preferring dconf instead of writing our own
solution. I didn't make this opinion public at the end of the last MCS
thread however.

I really like your code Brian. It comes very close to what I
had in mind (actually, it's almost identically except a few API
differences) and I'm glad someone finally came up with code, since I
hardly have the time for it.

So ... let's use it! It's not much code, it's almost ready for being
used and it's also somewhat similar to dconf (although it varies in
details). If there really is a need to switch to dconf later then
switching shouldn't be too much work. And who knows when dconf will
finally be released (as alpha, beta etc. version).

I'd also offer myself to co-maintain xfconf if that becomes or is
necessary.

  - Jannis